WUSA-TV reports. The request comes after reports of crowds gathering at the memorials over the weekend. “Federal agencies must do their part to flatten the curve,” Norton said. “Given the crowds that continue to gather in the chambers of both the Jefferson and Lincoln Memorials, it is no longer in the best interest of the community for these memorials to remain open. I am calling on Acting Director (David) Vela to restrict access to the public until the coronavirus is over.” Norton had previously sent a letter to Vela asking for answers on measures NPS is taking to protect the safety of U.S. Park Police, who are tasked with protecting these memorials.
has set up an isolation facility for the homeless in Milwaukee County on the grounds of the St. Francis de Sales Seminary in St. Francis. The facility is expected to be manned with 10 medics and 15 other “citizen soldiers” to provide 24/7 support to those who want to be safe from the coronavirus or protect themselves from infecting others. The city of Milwaukee Health Department and Milwaukee County Housing Division designated Clare Hall at the property as the isolation facility for referrals from the area’s homeless shelters and health care facilities that have individuals who are struggling to find stable housing. The National Guard expects to house individuals in the facility later this week.
Casper: The state’s 2020 Shrine Bowl all-star high school football game has been canceled due to the coronavirus. Executive Director Frank Selby announced the cancellation in an email Sunday, saying he couldn’t ask local businesses for their financial support while they’re reeling from closures due to the coronavirus, the Casper Star-Tribune reports. Selby also said it’s unclear if it will be safe to hold the game. This year’s game, the 47th in the annual series, was scheduled for June 13 in Casper. The rosters were announced in January. Money from businesses for sponsorship and program ads along with banquet and game ticket sales will be refunded within 30 days, Selby said. “I sincerely apologize for the disappointment this brings to our participants and football fans,” Selby added. He said he and the board of directors are working “to ensure that the players, coaches and participants are justly recognized for their achievements.”
From USA TODAY Network and wire reports
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/50-states/2020/04/08/park-closures-printed-masks-writing-history-news-around-states/111525412/